DVD02 BUILDING A MODEL RAILWAY PART 2
Building a Model Railway Part 2 – Detail & Technology (70 min) is available in DVD and HD Digital Download. Produced by the award winning film production company, Studio Scotland, this step by step guide takes the viewer into greater detailing of a model railway layout from track ballasting, static grass application, weathering, special effects, digital command control and much more.
Part 2 not only covers the construction of a beautifully detailed layout but sees the film crew travel to interview and film behind the scenes of leading manufacturers. Go behind the scenes of Bachmann Europe who recently launched their Thomas The Tank products in both G & 00 gauges. Join us as we travel to Beer in Devon and visit the beautiful gardens of Pecorama, home to the iconic model railway manufacturer PECO. In the world of electronics, we spend time with DCC Concepts and visit the fabulous card construction manufacturer, Metcalfe Models and Toys. When it comes to weathering those expensive locomotives, The Model Centre, in North Yorkshire, demonstrates their skills. Once again, as with part one, part two is jam-packed with great stuff for the modeller.
- 1 Track ballasting: Laying track straight onto a gravel finish, as we did previously, gives an acceptable look without damaging the track. This time, we are going to look at creating a more realistic and authentic finish. We look at a number of popular methods and finish off our track-bed complete with weathered staining and weeds between the sleepers.
- 2 Buildings: While our previous model buildings look very well on the layout, this time round, we are going to be looking at creating greater details that cover gutters and downpipes, weathering effects and customisation, accessories that bring further dimension, lighting and sound effects, special effects (such as a building on fire) and moving parts.
- 3 Static Grass: Previously, we showed how to create scenic areas using flock scatter materials and ready-made static grass products. In this production, we look at using static grass and a static grass applicator. While the grass is available in various colours we look at using weathering effects to bring further realism.
- 4 Weathering Rolling Stock: We take a look at basic weathering techniques that won’t scare you and, at the same time, show you how the professionals do it. Travelling to Yorkshire, we go behind the scenes of one of the country’s best known weathering shops.
- 5 DCC: This is often seen as a mystical topic but, with the help of experts, we are going to look into Digital Command Control, covering control panels and wiring, plug and play technology, easy to use electronic accessories, movement, lighting, sound and effects. And, for those with existing DC layouts, we will show you how to change over to DCC in minutes.
- 6 Accessories: A number of manufacturers dropped into our studio; one of which brought a number of lineside accessories. These wonderful little products bring a layout to life and, while some can be a little finicky to make, the effort is definitely worth it.
- 7 Support your local model shop: Model railway shops are a great place to chat about all aspects of the hobby, particularly the family run business and, in these days of companies that simply shift boxes at the cheapest price, we want to encourage you to support your local shop. We drop into one of Scotland’s best known model shops to chat with the owner.